Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I Saved Latin. What Did You Ever Do?

I ordered a book on Amazon today that's on film studies and I'm actually super pumped to get it. I think if I go to a university I could do something with film. It's a topic I've been more and more interested in since last year, but I don't know if I'd be good at it and that's weirdly scary to me because I hate to be bad at things.

In celebration of this small purchase I'm doing my favorite stills from my favorite Wes Anderson movies. I think Wes has an amazing creative mind. He was the first director to make me realize how carefully constructed every aspect of a film is, especially cinematography from the blatant symmetry in his shots and color palettes for each of his movies. For my film class two years ago a group of my friends and I recreated the most memorable scenes from Moonrise Kingdom and it was both hilarious and ridiculous. Basically, I know he's not technically the best director/writer out there but his films will always be some of my favorites because they mean a lot to me, and all of them are at the least very good.

Rushmore (1998)
This is my personal Anderson favorite and in general one of my all-time favorites, anyway. This was his first film shot in anamorphic widescreen format 2.35:1 used in most of his later films. It's also Jason Schwartzman's film debut.



I wish I could show you every Futura title card in this movie with all of Max Fischer's extracurricular activities because that is the best scene. 



"I saved Latin. What did you ever do?"



Best still of this entire movie goes to:



Bottle Rocket (1996)
Beginning first as a short film, this title is not only Anderson's directorial debut, but also the debut of Owen and Luke Wilson on screen. Amazing, huh? It's also his only film to date that does not star Bill Murray.



The first Futura title card from the short film of the same name vs. the later full-length film.



Lots of green with red accents.


The Grand Budapest Hotel (2015)
I feel like it's very odd of me to only be choosing Anderson's first two and last films, it was between this and The Darjeeling Limited, but TGBH is just so pretty and elaborate you can't leave it out ever when discussing Wes Anderson. TGBH  was shot in three different aspect ratios, 1.37, 1.85 and 2.35:1, to coincide with which of the three timelines you were in inside the storyline.




The whole cast of this movie was utterly fantastic and this film is the best example of his directorial style, taking everything he's done in the past 10+ years into one insane, hilarious, and adorable story. The soundtrack is also unbelievable; Alexandre Desplat did the movie well. I have it on CD and put it on whenever I study or am enduring long car drives by myself.






And special message to the asshole that stole my phone: Fuck You.